What we’re covering this week –
US Trade Representative Michael Froman kicks off the week with a speech to the National Association of Counties focused on Trade Promotion Authority. Vice President Biden also addresses the group. TPA will be on the agenda when the Senate Finance Committee holds a hearing on trade.
Here are some of the events we’ll be covering this week –
● Monday, USTR Froman and Vice President Biden speak to the National Association of Counties.
● In Geneva, the World Trade Organization Dispute Settlement Body meets.
● Tuesday, the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation sponsors a program on the importance of cross-
● On Wednesday, the Center for Strategic and International Studies sponsors a program on trade assistance with speakers including Rep. Charles Boustany (R-
● Bloomberg Government sponsors a program on the importance of reauthorizing the US Export-
● Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack testifies before the House Appropriations subcommittee on agriculture about the fiscal year 2016 budget request for his department.
● Thursday, Senate Finance holds a hearing on the trade agenda.
● The Georgetown University Law Center holds its annual two-
● Acting Deputy USTR Wendy Cutler and Australian Ambassador Kim Beazley speak at a CSIS program on US-
● Friday, European Parliament member Manfred Weber speaks to the Johns Hopkins School for Advanced International Studies.
● The Georgetown University conference continues.
Click the highlighted text to hear snippets from WTD’s straight talk.
• Comments by two veteran trade officials on secrecy in the TransPacific Partnership negotiations – first Chile Ambassador to the United States Juan Galbriel Valdes and then Taiwan Minister of Economic Development John Chen-
• Here’s a brief interview with the Heritage Foundation’s Foundry report with House Financial Services Chair Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-
• Here’s a brief snippet from remarks April 8 by Senate Finance Committee ranking Republican Orrin Hatch saying he is befuddled over why the President says he supports Trade Promotion Authority but doesn’t do anything about.
• Here’s Aspen Institute scholar and former Reagan Administration Assistant Secretary of Commerce speaking about with WTD on the many iterations of a US-